Thursday, September 2, 2010

Locally Grown


Doesn't get any more local than your own backyard. This year I've only got one little tomato plant. Next year, I plan having a row of them, as well as cucumbers, beans and everything else to make our own salads. My grandmother was a gardener and a part of me feels a connection to her, to my past, when I am digging in the dirt and getting the smell of ripening tomatoes on my fingers. I hope some day to have a garden worthy of the one my grandmother grew in her front field every year of my childhood. But for right now, it's pretty cool to have kept this one plant alive all summer long and to see that there are still a dozen tomatoes still ripening on the vine.

2 comments:

Hyacynth said...

Very pretty colors!

Judy said...

Fantastic -- and fantastic that you kept it alive and getting to that beautiful red. I hope you enjoy it when you eat it. I'd love to have a bite.